Nov 23, 2009

The Dog of the Sea (El Perro Del Mar)

A star is born. These shoes tell a story somehow. They belong to Andreas, Simone, Sarah, and Vanessa. What an incredible performance by Sarah Assbring and the dudes (El Perro Del Mar).I felt so good watching them. The sound and lights were perfect. Some of their recent songs have been a soundtrack to my life. 'Change of Heart' for one and 'Inner Island' (from her last record). I had seen her perform a couple years ago at Södra Teatern in Stockholm with Taken by Trees. It was soooo different and I only caught 2 songs. These new songs and vibe are so incredible. I have been in a little song writing slump and these shows got me feeling inspired again. The production is chorusey and flangey in the best way. Live, however, the songs have outdone themselves. Watching them, I felt that the songs we re-writing themselves as they moved through each track. Plus, Andreas's father made his guitar! My favorite guitar player in action. Hung around a music-cast online thingy and might have been my favorite moment. In an awkward studio at 1 in the afternoon with green screens. That second show, Rubies and Bart Davenport got to sing with 'Peter, Bjorn, and John' on a song called 'Stay That Way.'Peter made a solo record with Joachim Ekermann, who also recorded 'Explode from the Center'- and shares love with the wonderful Jenny Wilson, whose album came out earlier this year 'Hardships!' where I sing on 2 songs. She just played in NYC recently. Her first time to the states! I want her to tour here. Piecing together the puzzle here, people.





My current roommate Vanessa with one of my main swedes Andreas Söderström...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was at the first show with Peter, Bjorn, and John, and I was astounded by Sarah's performance. I first heard her about a year and a half ago in Starbucks of all places, and I've been hooked ever since.

I first heard of Rubies through the Studio and Tiedye remixes. I was at your show at Rickshaw in July and thoroughly enjoyed it. So I think a Rubies and Jenny Wilson show in San Francisco would be a marvelous idea. I would be front row center.